Sounds I love hearing - On the Double
in sounds I love hearing on Wednesday, December 3, 2008
I quite like the sound of a one syllable word, a connecting word, and a two syllable word.
Cloak and Dagger. Ike and Tina. Gin and tonic. Pen and paper. Talk on Corners. Jen and Brandy. Life of Brian.
And I have absolutely no idea why. If you do, please post! =)
Random link: Cellar Door on Wikipedia
This entry was posted on Wednesday, December 3, 2008 at 4:58 PM and is filed under sounds I love hearing. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response.
# by Angela - May 8, 2009 at 5:34 PM
I'm not too sure, but I will try:
Cloak and Dagger
The pattern is stressed, unstressed, stressed, unstressed. The caesura comes after the first stress. Cloak (pause) and Dagger.
There is an immediacy to the way the first word is said, with strength, power, urgency, importance, it stands alone. Cloak or Ike or Gin or Pen or Talk or Jen, alone and stressed.
The pause after is like an interruption, an end to this strong stress. Maybe to show its staccato or short extension, or almost a pause that interrupts itself. Cloak (pause) and Dagger.
"and Dagger" is fascinating because one interrupts oneself to do the same thing with the stressed Cloak but goes about it a slightly different way, there's a change or type of transition. Cloak pause AND DAGGER, to start unstressed is to start a new and different shift and climb to be strong with the stressed DAG, but ends up somewhere completely different from where they started, GER (unstressed). There is a comfort in repetition, stressed, unstressed, stressed, unstressed, but come full circle, you are not really where you started and this is an exciting thing for not only sound but for the reading of the combination of words. Cloak and Dagger, Ike and Tina, Gin and tonic, there is a need for change here, a very necessary pause, and a completion to end with something new but not entirely different.